College Discovery Services
Pre-College Summer Experience
- Participation in a five-week academic summer program required prior to your first year, usually held from the end of June to the first week of August.
- Participation in classes that will give you a head start in your college education and intensive help with reading, writing, and math.
- Academic support (tutoring) for the classes you are taking in the summer.
- Academic advising and pre-registration for fall semester classes.
- The opportunity to learn about the BCC campus, meet College Discovery faculty, staff and students, and form a support network.
- A small stipend for your participation in the summer program.
Our counseling services include:
- One-on-one academic, personal, and career counseling.
- Help with selection and registration of courses.
- Help with deciding on a major and transferring to a four-year college.
- A workshop series that will help you become the best student you can be.
- Social events and activities every semester for College Discovery students to meet, eat, and have fun. Events include general meetings, celebrations of studentsâ€™ accomplishments, G4DL (Go For Deanâ€™s List), and Chi Alpha Epsilon Honor Society (Click here to find out more information about the honor society.)
Academic Support (Tutoring)
Our academic support includes:
- Small group tutoring where the tutor can provide individual attention.
- Tips and techniques to help with essay writing and exams.
- Intensive workshops to help you pass the CUNY Assessment Tests in reading, writing, and math.
- Tutoring in basic skills courses such as reading, English, and mathematics, and the more popular college credit courses such as accounting, biology, chemistry, communication arts and sciences, human geography, health, history, math, psychology, and sociology.
- Supplemental instruction with a tutor who attends your class and works closely with the instructor.
Financial Supplemental Assistance
College Discovery provides stipends to help you pay for books and school supplies.