Frequently Asked Questions (Students)
You may select from the categories below or enter your search terms or questions in the box below. The Student Quick Reference Guide is available for download.
DegreeWorks is a computerized degree audit program and academic advising tool designed to assist you and advisors in reviewing your degree progress. DegreeWorks re-organizes your transcript chronologically and categorically, easily identifying courses you have completed and what courses you still need in order to fulfill your degree requirements. It is our goal that the new student online advisement resource will help students move toward graduation success.
DegreeWorks will help:
- Determine what CSI requirements you need to fulfill in order to complete your degree.
- Identify what requirements you have completed.
- View individual course grades, cumulative grade-point average (GPA), and major average.
- Determine which courses you have taken or transferred, and which ones count as electives.
- View transfer credits, waivers, and exemptions applied toward degree.
- Project grade performance using the GPA calculator.
- Confirm your academic status.
- Determine whether there are holds or stops on your record.
- Estimate how many semesters it will take you to graduate.
Learn the prerequisites and co-requisites for courses by clicking on the course numbers.
- When do I need to use DegreeWorks?
- Before meeting with an academic or major advisor, go to the Portal and print out your audit.
- Before registration, print out your audit and use it to plan your program for the semester.
- After registration, confirm that the courses selected complete the requirements you still need.
- Before you file for graduation, review your academic record.
OR Anytime! DEGREEWORKS is accessible 24 hours a day, 7 days a week from the CUNY Portal.
- When can I use my DegreeWorks Audit?
Use your DEGREEWORKS Audit when:
- Reviewing your progress with an academic or major advisor.
- Creating a list of questions to discuss with your advisor.
- Identifying courses that need to be completed.
- Selecting courses that meet your degree requirements.
- Determining a projected graduation date.
- Choosing a major.
- Deciding whether to add a minor.
- Can I change my major on DegreeWorks?
No, you must declare your change of major with the Registrar. To declare a change of major you may go to the Registrar at CO 513.
- Do I automatically graduate when everything is completed?
In order to graduate, you must file an application for graduation with the Registrar's Office. There is no fee for this application.
- What is the GPA Calculator?
Graduation Calculator: Determines what grades you need to reach your desired GPA upon graduating.
Term Calculator: Sets specific goals for the classes in your current term.
Advice Calculator: Determines how many credits of a specific grade average you need to reach your desired GPA.
- How do I use the GPA Calculator?
Choose a GPA Calculator type and click Load.
- Fill in requested information and click calculate.
- Who can see my Degree Audit?
You have access to your degree audit through your CUNY Portal account. If you give family or friends access to your portal account, they will also be able to see your degree audit.
Staff advisors, Faculty Advisors, Deans, and selected Registrar, Admissions and HUB staff will have access to your degree audit.
- How do I use the Plan to Choose Courses?
You will see on the plan those requirements that you have not yet fulfilled. Next to each requirement is a list of courses that fulfill that requirement. You can click on those courses to see if you have the prerequisites and look at the course description. If you look at the first few courses in a category and you do not have the prerequisites, it is likely that you do not have the prerequisites for the entire category. Move on to check another degree requirement. Once you have chosen several courses that you will be able to take place them in the planner and run another audit to check that those courses will all count for your degree. Then, you can go to the E-SIMS registration system (button at top of degree audit) to check for times and open sections to make your schedule.
"What if" is used to view how your courses count in a different major, you must:
- Click on the "What If" button.
- Select the degree you are considering.
- Select the catalog year that matches the year you will select that major.
- Select additional majors, minors and/or concentrations.
- Click Process Audit
- Review carefully how your courses would count in this new major.
- Discuss this new major with a department advisor.
- Decide if you want to change or add an additional major.
- Follow Registrars procedures to change or add a major.
- Does the DegreeWorks Audit show all my courses even if I have taken them elsewhere?
Yes, all courses transferred in from other colleges, taken in the military, on permit or in study abroad should show on your degree audit. Certain courses may not be applied to your major if you have exceeded the allowable number of credits under the residency requirement.