Evening and Weekend Services FAQ

Are there any resources available for students taking evening and weekend classes?

The Evening and Weekend Office is a full-service, daily drop-in center that provides support and assistance for students enrolled in weekday, evening and weekend classes. The office also serves as the referral center and point of contact for all issues pertaining to evening and weekend classes, programs and services that include advisement, registration and financial aid. The office is located in Colston Hall [CO], Room 506.

Are there any additional support services for evening and weekend students?

The student services that are available to students taking classes in the day are also available to evening and weekend students. Theses support services include academic advising, tutoring, math tutorial lab, the writing center, reading lab, academic computer labs, career development, registrar, financial aid, health services, personal counseling, disability services, student life, transfer services, etc. To learn more about the services available and the evening and weekend hours, explore the Evening and Weekend Office or the services menu.

What online academic tools should I be aware of?

BCC students use the following online services:

  • BCC Email: You are encouraged to check your email because important information, opportunities and events are communicated through this medium.
  • OSSES: OSSES stands for One Stop Shop Electronic Services. OSSES provides information and services ranging from semester progress reports to skills placements, email account claiming and resetting and much more.
  • CUNYfirst: Students use CUNYfirst for registration, tuition payments, grades, course withdrawal and applying for graduation.
  • CUNY Portal: The CUNY portal is a gateway to all things CUNY, most notably information regarding transferring to other CUNY institutions. Blackboard and DegreeWorks are accessed through this portal. To access all of these services, you must first register with the CUNY portal.
  • DegreeWorks: Degree Works provides details about courses taken and requirements fulfilled as well as those still required for graduation. It is available through the CUNY Portal. After you have signed in to the portal, click on the Student Advisement Degree Audit link on the left side of the screen and this will direct you to DegreeWorks.
  • Blackboard: Blackboard is a web-based learning management system that provides instructors with the tools for organizing and designing a virtual classroom space. Blackboard is accessible via the CUNY Portal.
What if I am having trouble accessing online academic tools?

If you have questions or are experiencing difficulties with any of the services mentioned above, connect with the Technology Service Center at 718-289-5970 or visit the Roscoe Brown Student Center [BC] Room 308.

Do I need to get a college ID?

All faculty, staff and students are required to carry a validated Bronx Community College ID card at all times. Members of the college community are also required to show their ID cards upon entering the college at all three college entrances. To obtain a college ID you need to go the ID room located on the 1st floor of the Roscoe Brown Student Center.

When should I speak to an academic advisor?

You should speak to an academic advisor whenever you have questions or concerns about your courses, major/major option and academic or career goals. You should also speak to an advisor about your general education requirements/ CUNY Pathways requirements. To find your advisor, know what your major/major option is, then locate the department that includes your major/major option. For example, if you elect to major in Liberal Arts: Early Childhood and Childhood Education Option (A.A.), you should meet with an advisor in the Education and Reading Department. If you are not sure if you have chosen a major, check your  major/major options on your OSSES or your CUNYfirst account under major/academic plan. You can also check your unofficial transcript. Academic advisors are available in the Academic Success Center located in Sage Hall [SA] 2nd floor. You can also visit the Evening and Weekend Office.

How do I know if the major I have chosen is right for me?

In choosing a major, there are three main considerations: your interests, your abilities and the career path that you want to pursue. Be sure to look at all your options before making a decision. You can find about the various majors and degrees offered on our campus website under Academic Degree Programs. You can visit academic departments and speak to an academic advisor. You can also learn more about which degrees can be completed during the evening and weekend by visiting Evening and Weekend Services.

How do I register for classes?

Before you can register for classes, you will need to meet with an academic advisor to go over your areas of interest and discuss your general education requirements/CUNY Pathways requirements, major/major options and requirements for majors, etc. After you meet with an advisor, you will log on to your CUNYfirst account to register for classes. Your CUNYfirst account will show your enrollment date and registration period.

Is there a deadline for advisement and registration?

There is a deadline for advisement and registration every semester. You should be aware of the early registration period as well as the dates for late registration and the deadline for adjusting class schedules. Once the advisement and registration period is over, students will not be allowed to register or make changes to their schedules. The dates for advisement and registration are updated each semester and are available online and on CUNYfirst. This information is also available in the Evening and Weekend Office.

What should I do if I want to drop a course?

Before you drop a course, you should speak to your instructor and your academic advisor to determine if it is the best option. You should then speak to the Financial Aid Office to determine if there will be any financial consequences for dropping the course. Keep in mind that you may not be eligible for a tuition refund if you drop a course, so it is important to be aware of the deadline. The deadline for dropping courses can be found on the academic calendar, which is available every semester.

Does Bronx Community College offer online courses?

BCC offers online courses called eLearning courses that have varying levels of traditional classroom meetings.

How do I find my classroom?

The room assignment for each class is located on your class schedule, usually after course name and section. If no room assignment is listed, you should contact the academic department of the course immediately. For example, if the course is a mathematics course, you should contact the Mathematics and Computer Science Department. If you do know which department your course is listed under, you can contact your academic advisor or visit the Evening and Weekend Office.

When can I register for classes?

You will be notified via your BCC email when the advisement and registration period opens. It is very important that you check your BCC email regularly for any updates regarding advisement and registration. You can also view the registration dates on CUNYfirst and on the academic calendar. You should go see your academic advisor prior to the early registration period so you can discuss any questions and/or concerns that you may have. This will give you an opportunity to plan your schedule accordingly and allow you to participate during the early registration period.

How can I view my class schedule?

You can view your class schedule by logging on to your CUNYfirst account. After you have registered for your classes, your class schedule will be available to you on CUNYfirst and you can access it at any time. You should print out a copy of your class schedule for your records once you have registered for classes.

When should I begin transfer planning?

You should start to research your options very early on in your academic career. To learn more about transferring to another college, go to the transfer planning website.

How can I view my grades?

You can view your grades by logging into your CUNYfirst account. Your CUNYfirst account will provide with the most up-to-date and accurate information regarding your course grades. You can access your CUNYfirst account at all times and from both on and off campus.

What should I know before I graduate from Bronx Community College?

In order to graduate, you must satisfy the necessary graduation requirements. You can view a list of college requirements, the steps to take to apply for graduation and  the status of your application by visiting the Registrar’s Office.

Where is Colston Hall? Meister Hall? Sage Hall?

We have a campus map that shows the name and location of every building on campus.

Where do you want to go now?

Start your search here