The Chemistry Placement Test
Students in Science, Technology and Health Care fields who need to take a course in Chemistry, must take either General Chemistry (CHM 11) or General, Organic & Biological Chemistry (CHM 17). A prerequisite for these courses is a Chemistry placement test, consisting of 40 multiple choice questions, based on the topics listed below. The test helps the Chemistry Department faculty place students into the right Chemistry classes. A passing score of 25 and above is needed before a student can register for CHM 11 or CHM 17. There is ample opportunity to take the test, as it is offered once a month during the Spring and Fall semesters. Also, during the Summer and the Winter Inter-session, the test will be given on dates set by the College. These dates will be posted on this web page.
The next tests will be given on the following dates:
- Thursday, April 11, 2013
- Thursday, April 18, 2013
- Thursday, April 25, 2013
- Thursday, May 2, 2013
Thursday, May 9, 2013
Thursday, May 16, 2013
||All exams will start at 12 noon and will take 55 minutes to complete
||All tests will be given in Meister 816
Visit this site often to determine other test dates and times. Students will need to bring #2 pencils and a BCC-ID for identification. You must sign-up for the test by sending an e-mail to this address: email@example.com. Please include “Chem Placement” in the subject line, and also indicate your name, your chosen field of study and your preferred test date. Any questions? Please send an e-mail to the above address.
- Students can take the placement test ONLY ONCE.
- Passing students can register for either CHM 11 or CHM 17.
- Students not passing must register for and pass Introduction to Chemistry (CHM02) before they can register for CHM 11 or CHM 17.
Chemistry Placement Test Topics
- Trends in the periodic table
- Characteristics of atoms, molecules and ions
- Characteristics of the three states of matter (liquids, solids gases)
- Distinguish between the chemical and physical properties of matter
- Determine valence and oxidation numbers of elements
- Properties of acid and base solutions
- Binary compounds metals and nonmetals and of 2 nonmetals
- Conversion between mole and molar mass quantities
- Balancing of chemical equations
- Related math skills and calculations, including graphs
Frequently Asked Questions
Who takes the Chemistry Placement Test?
- Students that need to take CHM 11 or CHM 17.
- Students who took Chemistry courses in another school.
When and where is the Chemistry Placement Test is offered?
- The placement test is offered once each month during the Spring and Fall semesters. Other times and places will be indicated on the BCC Chemistry Department website.
- It is also offered during the Summer and the Winter Intersession at times set by the College. Dates will be posted on the BCC Chemistry Department website.
Who is not eligible to take the Placement Test?
- Students who registered for CHM 02 and received an “R” grade.
- Students who registered for CHM 02, but did not receive a passing grade or withdrew.
How many times can students take the Placement Test?
- Students can take the Chemistry Placement Test ONLY ONCE.
What is the score needed before I can register for CHM 11 or CHM 17?
- A minimum of 25 out of 40 is the score needed before registering for CHM 11 or CHM 17.
- With a score below 24, students will be placed in CHM 02.