Acrobat reader is required to view this document.
Bronx Community College’s (BCC) program in nursing is a 67-credit program, leading to an Associate in Applied Science (AAS) degree, which was established in 1957. The program is accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN). BCC has an extensive history of graduating individuals who have been competently prepared to enter into the nursing workforce. Many of BCC’s nursing graduates are employed in hospitals and other health care facilities in the Bronx community.
In recognition of the current Institute of Medicine’s (IOM) charge to increase the number of baccalaureate prepared nurses, BCC has proposed dual/joint degree programs with Lehman College and the CUNY School of Professional Studies (SPS).These programs are pending approval from the New York State Education Department (NYSED). The purpose of the dual/joint degree program is to facilitate the seamless progress of our nursing graduates towards higher education in nursing.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
At the completion of the Associate Degree (AD) program, the new graduate will:
- Provide safe, competent and compassionate patient-centered care for patients and families/support person(s) across the life span based on current evidence-based practices.
- Assimilate leadership and management principles in practice as a professional nurse.
- Demonstrate integrity and accountability when applying professional nursing standards in practice within the ethical and legal framework of nursing.
- Participate in collaboration and teamwork with members of the inter-professional team, the patient/client, and the patient’s/client’s support person/family.
- Utilize informatics in patient technologies to communicate, manage knowledge, mitigate error and support decision-making.
- Participate in quality/performance improvement activities to promote optimal patient outcomes.
- Engage in clinical reasoning/nursing-judgment to make patient-centered care decisions, and to function within the complex healthcare environment.
Student Achievement Data
|Year||National Mean||BCC NCLEX Results|
Completion Rate (from initial enrollment in Nursing coursework)
|Year||Within 3 Years|
Employment and Continued Education
|Cohort/Year||% Employed as a RN||% Enrolled in a Baccalaureate Program|