Job Vacancy Notice
Job Title: College Assistant - Various Departments
Job ID: 18185
Location: Bronx Community College
Full/Part Time: Part-Time
- Under supervision, performs miscellaneous clerical, administrative, research or other work related to the operation of a College or other unit where such work is required on a part-time basis or for a period of limited duration.
- There is one Assignment Level for this position. All personnel perform related work. This specification describes typical assignments; related duties may be assigned as
- Maximum tenure for any employee in this hourly position is 1040 hours per year.
- Performs routine clerical work; may answer and attend to telephone calls; maintain records,
operate office machines (such as copier), sort and distribute mail, issue keys and identity cards,
act as messenger, and perform related tasks as required.
- Types letters, memoranda, charts, and similar materials.
- Acts as cashier.
- Assists in statistical or research activities. May collect and compile data, code data for computer entry, perform data entry, and run computer reports.
- Performs clerical library work, such as sorting and shelving books, performing data entry into library systems, or binding books and periodicals.
- Assists in instructional programs, including tutoring and assisting students in areas such as reading and mathematics. May assist in speech and hearing therapy, provide musical accompaniment, and/or distribute and collect physical education equipment.
- Enters and maintains departmental records such as inventory control records, rosters, directories, and schedules.
- May operate computers, computer software, and other electronic equipment in performing assigned tasks.
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
The Department of Human Resources at Bronx Community College is seeking College Assistants to work in various departments on campus.
Clerical/General Administrative responsibilities include:
- Greets diverse customers, visitors, and others in a professional manner; screens visitors and phone calls as directed; refers people to appropriate staff or to other offices as appropriate; takes accurate and complete messages; forwards messages in a timely manner; and maintains bulletin boards/displays, office literature and computer area.
- Responds to routine questions and requests from clients and staff; distributes forms and applications; may review returned documents for completeness; clarifies requests; provides prompt service; explains need for any delays or additional information; keeps visitors, clients and staff informed of progress; and returns calls as appropriate.
- Uses standard computer software and other office technology to input, format and transcribe documents; makes photocopies and sends faxes; and may input and format spreadsheets.
- Maintains paper and/or electronic files using established procedures and retrieves files as requested.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
PLEASE NOTE: Currently enrolled BCC students will not be considered for any confidential position.
- Must demonstrate sufficient skills to perform the duties of the assigned tasks.
Preferred Qualifications include:
- One (1) year of higher education
- Excellent Customer Service, Communication and Organizational skills
- Ability to read, write and speak fluent English
- Ability to take initiative when necessary and willingness to learn
- Strong computer skills (MS Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint) highly desired
- Flexible with availability
$13.50 - $23.57/hr
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants must apply online by accessing the CUNY website at www.cuny.edu and navigating to the following links: Select “Employment”, then select “Search Job Postings” and find JOB ID # 18185. Please attach resume. References on request. Please do not include any other documentation.
For general assistance with your CUNYfirst application, please go to http://www.cuny.edu/employment/jobsysteminstructions.html for information.
May 22, 2018 - Continuous recruitment
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Support Staff
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
An Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action/ IRCA/
Americans with Disabilities Act Employer