Job Vacancy Notice
Job Title: College Laboratory Technician - Modern Languages
Job ID: 17999
Location: Bronx Community College
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Performs highly-skilled laboratory functions and other technical duties in support of coursework.
- Sets up, maintains, and organizes student laboratories
- Assists students with setting up experiments and other learning exercises, and with the use of equipment and materials
- Maintains appropriate safety and hygiene standards
- Maintains required documentation related to laboratory activities
- Manages equipment and materials inventories.
Job Title Name: College Laboratory Technician
College Laboratory Technician
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
The Department of Modern Languages at Bronx Community Colleges invites applications for a College Laboratory Technician (CLT).
Bronx Community College is among the nation's top ten colleges in minority enrollment. Our student body reflects the diversity of the Bronx; we serve approximately 11,000 students from 100 countries. We are a diverse faculty that values pedagogical inquiry and dedication to teaching. Located on a 45-acre tree-lined campus, Bronx Community College was recently designated a National Historic Landmark — the very first community college to enjoy this honor. The campus was cited as a nationally significant example of Beaux-Arts and Modernist architecture in the United States, containing seminal works by Stanford White and Marcel Breuer.
The Modern Language Department currently offers a Liberal Arts Degree with a Spanish concentration. The program offers language courses from the introductory to the advanced levels as well as thematic advanced courses in Caribbean, French, Iberian, Italian, and Latin American literature and culture. The Department offers courses in six languages: Arabic, French, Japanese, Italian, Spanish, and Portuguese. Recent initiatives include e-Portfolio integration, learning communities, hybrid courses, Open Educational Resources (OERs), and the introduction of less commonly taught languages (LCTLs).
The CLT will work under the direct supervision of the Chairperson. Assignments and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Provide guidance in the operation of laboratory equipment; assure equipment is properly maintained.
- Assist in the supervision of other laboratory support staff and students utilizing the lab space and equipment.
- Assist with correct placement of students in courses. Students must take an online placement exam to place in the appropriate class (Spanish and French).
- Assist with the set-up and operation of Lab classes and support students that utilize the Language Lab.
- Coordinate production of laboratory exercises, programs, examinations, and on location recordings of lectures, meetings, classes, and seminars.
- Monitor and initiate orders for necessary supplies; may suggest changes to practices and procedures within the lab.
- Coordinate acquisitions of laboratory hardware and software; maintain records of materials and equipment in a systematic manner.
- Notify and serve as the liaison to the IT department to resolve computer related issues.
- Troubleshoot problems relating to online lab manuals. Maintain and update instructional content on Language Lab website.
High School Diploma with a minimum of four years' related experience. Additional education may be used to meet the experience requirement: an Associate degree may be substituted for two years experience, and a Bachelor's degree may be substituted for four years experience.
- Proficiency in a Romance Language
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to communicate in English and to work well with other technicians, professors, and students
- Advanced computer literacy skills for the MLD Language Lab, a place which supports instruction
$40,627 - $60,561; Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants must apply online by accessing the CUNY website at www.cuny.edu and navigating to the following links: Select “Employment”, then select “Search Job Postings” and find JOB ID #17999. Please attach resume and cover letter. References on request. Please do not include any other documentation.
For general assistance with your CUNYfirst application, please go to http://www.cuny.edu/employment/jobsysteminstructions.html for information.
February 20, 2018
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Support Staff
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
An Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action/ IRCA/
Americans with Disabilities Act Employer