Job Vacancy Notice
Job Title: Director - Information Services and Production Support (Computer Systems Manager, Level 3 - Provisional)
Job ID: 16938
Location: Bronx Community College
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
I.T. Computer Systems Managers manage and direct an Information Technology area at a College or University level. They set policies and procedures, direct technical staff, and maintain responsibility for administrative as well as technical issues within their assigned area(s) of responsibility. They may manage major and/or large, complex information systems activities and/or manage a unit or group.
This job is in CUNY's Classified Managerial Service. The full specification is available on our web site at http://www.cuny.edu/about/administration/offices/ohrm/hros/classification/ccsjobs.html
Computer Systems Manager
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
Since 1959, Bronx Community College of the City University of New York has been building on its vision to graduate students who are prepared to live within, profit from, and contribute to a 21st century global environment marked by diversity, change, and expanded opportunities for learning and growth. Located on a 43-acre, tree-lined campus in the University Heights section of the Bronx, BCC offers more than 30 academic programs that prepare students for careers and to continue their education at four-year colleges.
Under the direction of the Chief Information Officer and the Deputy Chief Information Officer and with wide latitude for independent initiative and judgment, the Director for Information Services and Production Support will lead and direct project implementation including strategies, planning, and prioritizing in the following areas: Information Services and Project Management, Business Analytics, and Production Support and Client Services. The Director of Information Services and Production Support will manage a group of assistant directors and supervisors responsible for development, integration and implementation of mission critical database services, applications and reports in support for the college’s academic and administrative environment. This position oversees high level strategic and tactical decisions for business intelligence tools and applications as well as facilitates organizational data strategies for governance, design, implementation, integration and usage. The Director works collaboratively with campus departments, other IT professionals, particularly administrators in the areas of security, middleware development, data warehouse, applications integration, business analytics and third party vendors.
Additional areas of responsibility and coordination:
- Provides leadership and oversee the administration of all aspects of Information Services, including operations, needs assessment, development, budgeting, program coordination, training, research, evaluation and support.
- Provides leadership in introducing new strategies and technologies to enhance knowledge management and information availability, delivery and utility for senior administration, faculty, students and staff.
- Collaborates with senior administration, faculty and staff to analyze, develop and oversee the design, implementation and evaluation of systems solutions for academic, administrative and student support business processes.
- Plans at a strategic/tactical level and manages the effective use of resources and directs assigned staff to design, develop, maintain, and implement major, highly complex system(s) and/or project(s) supporting the business and/or technology areas
- Manages, in conjunction with other leaders, the project approval and selection process and lead Information Services aspects of Integrated Project Teams.
- Leads the design and maintenance of business intelligence applications.
- Ensures that the use of business intelligence applications enhances business decision-making capabilities.
- Directs, plans, and implements strategy, policies, objectives, operational activities and internal control procedures for the IS unit in accordance with the overall strategy of the college in order to achieve profitability, growth, and operational results.
- Provides leadership in introducing new strategies to enhance evidence-based decision making (with information availability, delivery and utility for senior administration, faculty, staff and students).
- Represents the Information System unit at BCC, discusses and gains an appreciation of the new and changing requirements of the College.
- Analyzes knowledge/information needs, determine improvements, solutions and innovations, develop work plans, and oversee the design, implementation and evaluation of system solutions.
- Collaborates with senior administration, faculty and staff to develop and implement innovative information services including the development of strategic and operational plans.
- Provides leadership and management of the Information Services staff. Encourages and supports departmental and college-wide staff development in the area of information technology.
- Assumes full administrative responsibility for CUNYFirst and all College installed academic and administrative systems and services.
- Provides leadership and supervision of interactive analytical and assessment tools for administrators, faculty and staff.
- Represents the department and college on various CUNY and BCC Committees, presenting professional and technical expertise.
1. Six (6) years of progressively responsible full-time paid information systems technology experience, at least 18 months of which shall have been in an administrative or managerial capacity in the areas of computer applications programming, systems programming, information systems development, data telecommunications, data base administration or a closely related area.
2. Education at an accredited College or University may be substituted for the general information systems technology experience at the rate of one year of college for 6 months of experience up to a maximum of 4 years of college for 2 years of experience. In addition a Master's degree in computer science or a closely related field from an accredited college or university may be substituted for an additional year of the general information systems technology experience. However, all candidates must possess the 18 months of administrative or managerial experience described above.
This title has multiple levels. In addition to the minimum qualifications above, additional qualifications, such as education, experience, or certification relevant to the area of specialization are required.
- Leadership experience with increasing levels of accountability
- Strong leadership, coaching and mentoring skills
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication and presentation skills
- Demonstrated skills in strategic and critical thinking, negotiation and relationship building
- Strong project management skills
- Experience identifying intelligence needs of each department through one-to-one communications of key personnel
- Solid knowledge of implementation of Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) methodology, ITIL, project and quality management framework for projects
- Excellent troubleshooting and analytical problem-solving skills with demonstrated ability to think objectively and creatively, focusing on not only details, but accurately comprehending the larger issues and being able to accurately and clearly communicate the relation between both
- Demonstrated understanding of database management best practices
- Strong knowledge of academic data solutions including ERP, data warehousing, business intelligence, and other solutions that are production-critical to the college’s mission
- Demonstrated experience leading the design and implementation of MS SQL and highly-available databases with documented relational database administration experience in a production environment
- Excellent knowledge of SQL scripting, including stored packages and procedures
- Knowledge of SharePoint DB Administration in an enterprise environment
$74,960 - $119,833; Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants must apply online by accessing the CUNY website at www.cuny.edu and navigating to the following links: Select “Employment”, then select “Search Job Postings” and find JOB ID #16938. Please attach resume and cover letter. References on request. Please do not include any other documentation. Please note: If you have applied to the above JVN#, you do not have to reapply to be considered.
For general assistance with your CUNYfirst application, please go to http://www.cuny.edu/employment/jobsysteminstructions.html for information.
Open until filled with review of resumes to begin January 2, 2018.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
An Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action/ IRCA/
Americans with Disabilities Act Employer