Job Vacancy Notice
Job Title: Finance Purchasing Agent, Level 3 (Provisional) - Purchasing/Business Office
Job ID: 16885
Location: Bronx Community College
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
This class of positions encompasses responsible purchasing of a variety of materials with varying degree of latitude. For independent initiative and judgment and supervisory work of a major subdivision in a large bureau or purchasing organization. There are three assignment levels within this class of positions. All personnel perform related work.
Assignment Level I
Under general supervision, with limited latitude for independent or unreviewed action or decision in accordance with standard procedures and legal requirements, performs work of limited difficulty and responsibility in one or more of the following areas:
- Is responsible for the purchase of a volume and variety of materials in assigned fields.
- Reviews purchasing requisitions, checking descriptions and specifications to determine their accuracy and adequacy and consults with department and agencies to adjust possible discrepancies.
- Analyzes market conditions in relation to recent, current, and anticipated purchases.
- Prepares proposals for bidding on items to be purchased.
- Develops lists of prospective bidders.
- Reviews bids and quotations to determine most reasonable price in relation to market conditions and responsibility of bidders and makes recommendations based on these determinations.
- Examines samples of items to determine compliance with specifications or standards, suggesting substitute items when desirable.
- Interviews and corresponds with vendors, business representatives and contractors.
- Analyzes trade journals, catalogs, directories and other technical material with respect to market and price conditions.
- Prepares necessary purchasing documents in accordance with procurement requirements.
- May supervise Assistant Purchasing Agents and clerical personnel.
- Keeps records and makes copies.
Assignment Level II
Under general supervision, with considerable latitude for independent or unreviewed action or direction, in accordance with standard procedures and legal requirements, handles more complex problems in one or more of the following:
- Is responsible for the purchasing of materials in assigned fields which involve a large expenditure of money and the more complex purchasing problems that are continual in nature, due to such factors as seasonal variations, number and variety of items, frequency and extent of emergency purchases, complicated and non-standard nature of items purchased, and liabilities and consequences resulting from purchasing errors.
- May incidentally perform duties described under Assignment Level I.
Assignment Level III
Under direction, with wide latitude for independent or unreviewed action or decision, performs supervisory work in one or more of the following, after having performed duties at Assignment Level I and/or II at least two years:
- Supervises and coordinates the purchasing activities of a subdivision consisting of two or more commodity units.
- Makes investigations in relation to purchase and handles special assignments as required.
- Reviews contract and calendar proposals before advertising.
- Approves recommendations for contract awards, contract modifications, buy-against transactions, formal requests for time extension on contracts, etc.
- Supervises various activities in connection with open market transactions.
- Supervises personnel in the titles of Assistant Purchasing Agents and other clerical personnel.
- May incidentally perform duties described under lower Assignment Levels.
- May, during temporary absence of immediate superior, perform the duties of that individual.
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
In addition to the CUNY Title Overview the Finance Purchasing Agent will be responsible for:
- Developing and executing IFB’s, RFP’s and RFQ’s through all stages of the solicitation process including working with departments to develop specifications, conduct pre-proposal/pre-bid conferences and site visits, bid openings and award processes.
- Training staff and department users on Purchasing Systems.
- Advising departments of current procurement policies and procedures.
1. High school graduation or its equivalent and four years of full-time, paid experience in purchasing a large volume and/or variety of materials, supplies, or equipment, two years of which may have been in a field closely related to large-scale purchasing such as inspection or specification writing covering a large volume and/or variety of materials, supplies or equipment; OR
2. A baccalaureate degree, from an accredited college, in marketing , materials testing, mathematics, merchandising, purchasing, retailing, economics, or finance and one (1) year of full-time, paid experience in purchasing a large volume of materials, supplies or equipment; OR
3. A combination of education and/or experience which is equivalent to 1 or 2.
- Highly developed business and communication skills
- Debriefing skills
- Highly effective interpersonal and technical skills
- Intermediate knowledge of MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Proven ability to manage a large workload with tight time constraints
- Possess a shared organizational value for integrity, flexibility and ethics
- Intermediate knowledge of NYC Financial Management System (FMS)
- Experience with Business Process Improvements
New HIre: $56,880*
*This amount reflects a 13% salary suppression in effect for the first 24 months of employment only.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants must apply online by accessing the CUNY website at www.cuny.edu and navigating to the following links: Select “Employment”, then select “Search Job Postings” and find JOB ID #16885. Please attach resume and cover letter. References on request.. To be considered for an interview your resume must show that you meet the minimum requirements. Please do not include any other documentation. Please note: If you have applied to the above JOB ID#, you do not have to reapply to be considered.
For general assistance with your CUNYfirst application, please go to http://www.cuny.edu/employment/jobsysteminstructions.html for information.
December 1, 2017.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
An Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action/ IRCA/
Americans with Disabilities Act Employer