Testing and Placement Exams
If you are required to take CUNY Assessment Tests (CATs) for admission to Bronx Community College (BCC) or for placement into appropriate level courses, you will be receiving instructions from both the University and BCC.
Incoming students are required to take the CUNY Assessment Tests before enrolling in classes.
- This exam measures your reading comprehension. You will be given several reading passages.
- This exam assesses your writing skills based on a sample of your writing.
- Students are given a choice of two questions and are asked to write an organized, focused essay.
- This exam is designed to measure students' knowledge of a number of topics in mathematics.
- The test is organized into four sections: numerical skills/pre-algebra, algebra, college algebra, and trigonometry.
Dependent upon the student's major, students may be required to take BCC´s departmental exams.
For questions, please contact the following departments directly:
Modern Language – Oral or Written Assessment 718.289.5633
Chemistry – Interview or Written Exam 718.289.5569
Learn the Facts About Testing
The results of the CUNY Assessment Tests will determine if a student can enroll in credit-bearing course or non-credit developmental courses in reading, writing and math.
Meet the Exemption Requirements
For entering students
For more information contact the BCC Testing Office