This certificate program responds to the current need for trained practitioners in infant through early childhood learning centers due to the increased demand for childcare among a growing number of families. It provides the educational foundation for a person who seeks to become a home childcare provider. Upon successful completion of the Early Childhood Care Assistant Certificate Program, students will be able to continue their studies in Bronx Community College’s Education Associate AAS Degree Program, and all of the certificate course credits will be accepted for this AAS degree.
Upon successful completion of the Early Childhood Assistant program requirements, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of theory in early childhood/childhood and adolescent development.
- Apply observational skills to assess early childhood, childhood development.
- Communicate effectively through oral, written, and/or technological means to support teaching and effective partnerships with families and school communities.
- Identify environments that support a safe, healthy learning environment for all children.
- Apply developmentally appropriate pedagogical techniques and classroom management strategies to meet the needs of all learners in any of the following: reading, writing, technology, meeting the needs of exceptional learners, English Language Learners, bilingual learners, and/or creative experiences in early childhood/childhood learning environments.
Curriculum Coordinator: Dr. Tonya Johnson