The Department of Education offers two degree programs for students choosing a career in the field of education: the AAS Degree and the AA Degree. The AAS Degree is designed for students seeking employment upon the completion of the two-year degree. This program offers a wide range of education courses and internship experiences in New York City Public Schools. If the student decides to transfer to a four-year institution, additional liberal arts credits may be required. Upon employment as a paraprofessional, the New York City Board of Education will pay for six credits per semester for college courses. The AA Degree program is designed for students who seek automatic transfer to a senior college in CUNY, upon graduation, to pursue a baccalaureate degree and teacher certification. Students interested in preparing to be teachers should pursue the Liberal Arts and Sciences Associate in Arts (AA) Education Option.
Upon successful completion of the Education Associate program requirements, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of theory in early childhood/childhood and adolescent development.
- Apply observational skills to assess early childhood, childhood development.
- Communicate effectively through oral, written, and/or technological means to support teaching and effective partnerships with families and school communities.
- Identify environments that support a safe, healthy learning environment for all children.
- Apply developmentally appropriate pedagogical techniques and classroom management strategies to meet the needs of all learners in any of the
following: reading, writing, technology, meeting the needs of exceptional learners, English Language Learners, bilingual learners, and/or creative
experiences in early childhood/childhood learning environments.
Please note that the program articulates with SUNY Empire State College. Visit the Transfer Planning web site for more details.
Curriculum Coordinator: Dr. T. Johnson