College Now students have the opportunity to apply for scholarships.
Learn more about how to apply and the requirements.
City College alumnus Robert Friedman established the Myself Third: The Spirit of New York Scholarship in 2002, in honor of those who participated in the rescue effort following the World Trade Center tragedy in 2001. The purpose of the scholarship program is to encourage and reward the civic involvement of high school students.
The competition is open to New York City public high school seniors who have completed at least one college credit course in the College Now Program. Two one-time awards of $5,000 dollars will be awarded to two CUNY-bound students enrolling in either an associates or baccalaureate degree program in the fall semester at any of CUNY’s undergraduate colleges on a full-time basis. Applications are available during the Spring semesters only.
Completed applications must include:
- A high school transcript
- A typed essay on civic involvement (instructions in the application)
- A description of volunteer, work, and extracurricular activities
- A letter of support from a nominating high school teacher or guidance counselor
- A letter of support from a volunteer supervisor
Interested students should visit the College Now office located at Carman Hall, Room 189 to obtain an application.
The purpose of this internship is to enhance the public service learning and leadership skills of high school students in the College Now program.
Students learn about the New York City Council, community representation, and the legislative process from faculty mentors during an intensive training program that consists of several Saturday sessions. At the conclusion of the training component, participants convene in the City Council Chamber for a Model City Council session and join CUNY in hosting a reception and celebration at City Hall for Council Members.
In order to participate in the project students must meet these three requirements:
- Be a NYC DOE high school junior or senior
- Be enrolled in or have completed at least one College Now course or workshop
- Be able to attend all the Saturday training sessions and the final event
We will post the application for the upcoming semester as soon as it is available.