Cybersecurity presents a unique challenge in this era, stimulated by the multifaceted technological boom expressed in accelerated globalization, digital transformation, the cloud, mobile access apps and the Internet of Things (IoT)—where more and more everyday devices are connected to the internet.
As the use of new Internet-based technologies increase so does the risk of theft and misuse of sensitive information. This demands the awareness of cyber-criminality and the need for cyber hygiene in corporations, small businesses, and government.
Therefore, the Department of Engineering, Physics and Technology of Bronx Community College offers an A.A.S. in Cybersecurity and Networking. This A.A.S. program will graduate students who will be employable as entry-level networking technicians with introductory skills in cybersecurity. Moreover, the graduates will have the opportunity to earn industry certifications during the course of the degree program, or earn college credit for those they may already hold. Graduates will also attain the academic foundation necessary to advance to a baccalaureate degree. The Cybersecurity and Networking A.A.S Degree articulates with the Bachelor of Technology in Computer Systems at New York City College of Technology.
The goals of the AAS in Cybersecurity and Networking are:
- Toprovidestudentswithconceptualandpractical aspects of cybersecurity.
- Todelivertheessentialtechniquestoidentifythe security issues within a given network and secure the network from the cyber threats.
- Toprovideanopportunitytoobtainindustry certifications (e.g., A+, Security+, etc.) en route to obtaining the A.A.S. Degree in Cybersecurity and Networking.
- Toprovidestudentswithcareercounselingand exploration in cybersecurity and networking technology, as well as related fields.
- Toprovideguidanceandtransferopportunities in cybersecurity, as well as related fields, to four- year colleges.
Upon successful completion of the Cybersecurity and Networking program requirements, students will be able to:
- Plan, install, and configure computer hardware, firewalls, networking software and operating system software.
- Read and interpret technical literature and convey technical information through verbal and written communication.
- Analyze and solve real-world security issues while understanding the legal and ethical concerns.
- Demonstrate security awareness in order to react to new developments in their field.
- Perform user accounts management and implement security groups.
- Utilize critical thinking skills to collect, analyze and interpret technical data collected through investigation and experimentation.