Access and Equal Education Opportunity for Students
Our mission is to provide access and equal educational opportunity for students with disabilities, enabling them to succeed academically, socially and professionally.
Once students have self-identified, applied for services, and provided documentation of their disability, our staff works to determine eligibility for reasonable accommodations. Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), both the student and the College must carry out these responsibilities in a timely manner. The Disability Services Office also acts as a liaison between the student and faculty and staff.
The Disability Services Office is an official New York State Voter Registration site. Individuals who visit our office are given the opportunity to register as New York State voters. Assistance is available to complete the registration.
A grievance relating to either reasonable accommodations or a BCC program, service, or activity that is not accessible to persons with disabilities should be filed with the Office of Affirmative Action, Compliance and Diversity, Bronx Community College/CUNY, 2155 University Avenue, Bronx, New York 10453. Phone: 718-289-5100, Ext. 3494
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action College with the City University of New York (CUNY) that encourages campus diversity.
Which buildings on campus are accessible?
Please see this campus map for accessible locations: Link Here
How do I request accessible location for my classes due to my disability?
- Students requesting accessible classrooms need to register with Disability Services Office and provide any necessary documentation.
- Once a student is determined eligible and accommodations are approved, the office makes every effort to relocate necessary classrooms.
- Relocations require significant time and coordination between various campus facility resources and offices.
- As each student’s disability indicates level of physical mobility and limitations, every semester the student has to request in writing each class that student wishes to have relocated. To guarantee necessary relocations and minimize missed classes, requests should be made to disability services at least 3 weeks prior to start of semester. Also notify Disability Service Office of any changes in schedule such as course additions or withdrawals.
- Late requests after the start of a semester should be discussed with Disability Services Office for available options as relocations cannot be guaranteed and due to needed time to coordinate, student may miss classes, impacting course requirements.
Disability Services Director
Loew Hall, Room 215
Disability Accommodation Specialist
Loew Hall, Room 209
CUNY LEADS Advisor
Phone: 718-289-5100, Ext 3143
Loew Hall, Room 213
Please contact the office to make an appointment.