Academic advising is an important educational activity that works best when done early and regularly throughout the semester. Advising is a partnership between students, professional advisors and faculty, with the common goal of helping students get the most out of their college experience.
BCC integrates academic advisement within student support programs to maximize effectiveness. BCC students are assigned professional advisors and the expectation is that students and assigned advisors will keep in regular contact throughout the semester. Academic Advisors
- assist students formulate sound and sensible long-range educational plans that are consistent with each student’s personal and professional aspirations,
- inform students about college and program policies and opportunities,
- partner with students in exploring career and transfer options,
- anticipate problems that may hinder student academic and personal success,
- help students immerse in the life of the campus.
Faculty advisors also play an essential role in mentoring students through their personal and academic journey, and creating coordinated interventions with professional advisors and other student support areas.
Continuing students can make an appointment with their assigned academic advisor in Starfish: (https://bcc.starfishsolutions.com/starfish-ops/) To log in, please use your full BCC email address (Jane.Smith@stu.bcc.cuny.edu) and password.
If you need assistance by phone or email please refer below:
- ASAP students: call: 718.289.5166; email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- College Discovery students: call: 718.289.5882; email: email@example.com
- Students not assigned to any special program: call: 718.289.5401; email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Newly enrolled freshman and transfer students: call 718.289.5120; email: FYP@bcc.cuny.edu
Do the Math. Take 15 credits a semester. Take 30 credits a year. Graduate on time.