Is College Discovery Right for You?
The College Discovery (CD) Program provides services to select students who show potential for success, but would benefit from additional academic and financial assistance. College Discovery stimulates and supports the intellectual, personal and professional growth of these students through college orientations, tutoring, one-on-one counseling, supplemental instruction and financial support.
How to Apply
- Apply to BCC on the CUNY website.
- Select “YES” for SEEK/CD Program Interest on the Support Programs section.
- Resident of New York City for at least one year prior to applying for admission
- First-time applicant for admission to a CUNY community college
- Applying as full-time matriculated student
- High school diploma or Testing Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC)
- High school academic average that does not exceed 80
- Meet NYS income requirements:
- File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Submit proof of family income
Acceptable documentation includes:
- Copy of tax forms
- Verification of unemployment, if applicable
- Proof of public assistance, if applicable
- SS/SSI budget letter
- Court papers for child support and/or alimony that meet the economic criteria described in the CUNY Admissions application
MEET OUR STAFF
Nathan Aiken, Counselor:
Virtual ZOOM Sessions – Wednesdays 3:00 pm – 4:00 pm
Gerard Cole, Counselor:
Virtual ZOOM Sessions – Thursdays 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm
Link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/4766237952?pwd=dXZJQnRYSzc1QVFoMzhWbmNoci9GQT09 / Password: 6WTMNx
Jeannette Davila, Secretary:
email@example.com 718-289-5882 / 914-487-4121
Main Office Virtual Zoom Hours:
Monday: 10:00 am – 12:00 pm
Wednesday & Friday: 3:00 pm – 5:00 pm
Meeting ID: 838 3386 2412 / Passcode: 491375
Alixon Delgado, Counselor:
Virtual ZOOM Sessions – Tuesdays 12:00 pm-1:00 pm
Meeting ID: 814 4508 2536
Leidy Pichardo, Academic Support Manager
Cynthia Suarez-Espinal, Director:
Students meet with a CD counselor to discuss issues that are educational, personal, career and/or financial. They are also available to help with the following:
- Selecting and registering for classes
- Workshops to provide tips for a successful semester
- Seminars, leadership training and internships
- Transferring to CUNY SEEK, HEOP and EOP for a bachelor’s degree upon receipt of an associate degree
Schedule an appointment to meet with your CD Counselor today!
- In addition to the grants received through Pell and TAP, CD students are eligible for the following:
- Lending Library where students may borrow textbooks and scientific graphing calculators
- Stipend to help pay for books
- Up to seven semesters of TAP to earn an associate degree
An Academic Support Coordinator provides students with the assistance needed to succeed in their classes. This includes:
- Free tutoring and supplemental instruction in the following:
- English, reading and math (all levels)
- Sciences (biology, chemistry, health, pharmacology)
- Social Sciences (psychology, history, geography, sociology, economics, political science)
- Humanities (art, communication, music) accounting and business
- Individual and group sessions to help improve study skills and habits
- The opportunity to participate in the free pre-freshmen Summer Success Program.
- One on one Academic Coaching – help with study skills, test anxiety, time management, stress and much more!