Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA)

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), also known as the Buckley Amendment, is a federal law designed to protect the privacy of education records, establish the right of students to inspect and review their education records and provide guidelines for the correction of inaccurate and misleading data through informal and formal hearings. As a student at Bronx Community College, it is imperative to understand your rights under FERPA:

  • To inspect your academic records, submit a written request to the Registrar’s Office that clearly identifies the record(s) to be inspected.
  • All requests will be granted or denied in writing by the Registrar’s Office. If the request is granted, you will be notified of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the request is denied, you may appeal to the Registrar’s Office and additional information regarding the appeal procedures will be provided in writing.
  • Students may ask the college to amend a record if it is inaccurate or misleading. To make such a request, you should write to the college official in the Registrar’s Office and clearly identify the part of the record that you want to change and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading.
  • If the College decides not to amend the record, you will be notified of the decision in writing. The College will also provide additional information on your right to a hearing before the college official.
  • Upon request, Bronx Community College is permitted under FERPA to authorize disclosure of PII without consent of a student to college officials with legitimate educational interests.
  • A college official is a person employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research or support staff position; a person or company with whom the University has contracted; a person serving on the Board of Trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another college official in performing his or her tasks.
  • As a student, you have the right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the college to comply with the requirements of FERPA.

Where do you want to go now?

Start your search here