The Computer Science curriculum provides an introduction to the field of computer science to ensure successful transfer to a senior college Computer Science program. Students learn to construct, verify and implement algorithms by writing and running programs in standard programming languages. The curriculum provides a broad background in science and the humanities as well as a thorough grounding in discrete and continuous mathematics. The Computer Science AS program articulates with the Computer Science B.S. program at Lehman College and the B.A. and B.S. programs at Iona College. BCC Computer Science graduates have successfully transferred to City College, Polytechnic University, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Clarkson University, Pace University and others.
Upon successful completion of the Computer Science program requirements, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate the ability to apply knowledge of computing and mathematics appropriate to the discipline.
- Demonstrate the ability to analyze a problem, and identify and define the computing requirements appropriate to its solution.
- Demonstrate the ability to choose and use current techniques, skills, and tools necessary for computing practices.
- Demonstrate the ability to apply mathematical foundations, algorithmic principles, and computer science theory in modeling and design of computer-based systems.
- Demonstrate the ability to analyze the local and global impact of computing on individuals, organizations and society.
Curriculum Coordinator: Dr. Uma Iyer