The Department of Education and Academic Literacy offers two degree paths for students choosing a career in the field of education: the AS in Education and the AA in Liberal Arts and Sciences (AA LAS) with options in Education. The AS in Education requires more education courses than does the AA LAS degree, as well as offering internship experiences in New York City Public Schools. Both degrees allow students to transfer to a senior college, upon graduation, to pursue a bachelor’s degree and teacher certification. Students interested in teaching in high school (as opposed to childhood and early childhood)
are advised to enroll in the AA LAS with an option in Adolescent Education. The AS in Education can also prepare students for paraprofessional, assistant teacher, and 3K/pre-K roles immediately upon graduation with the associate degree.
Upon successful completion of the AS Education program requirements, students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate knowledge of theory in early childhood/childhood development.
2. Apply observational skills to assess early childhood, childhood development.
3. Communicate effectively through oral, written, and/ or technological means to support teaching and effective partnerships with families and school communities.
4. Identify environments that support a safe, healthy learning environment for all children.
5. Apply developmentally appropriate pedagogical techniques and classroom management strategies to meet the needs of all learners in any of the following: reading, writing, technology, meeting the needs of exceptional learners, English Language Learners, bilingual learners, and/or creative experiences in early childhood/childhood learning environments
Curriculum Coordinator: Dr. T. Johnson