If you are currently in the U.S. and want to change to F-1 student status without leaving the U.S., you may be eligible to apply to USCIS for a change of status. The Office of International Student Services will provide assistance with the process of applying to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for a change of your nonimmigrant status to F-1 student.