Liberal Arts & Sciences Media Studies AA Course Requirements
LIBERAL ARTS AND SCIENCES CURRICULUM (PATHWAYS)
60 Credits required for AA Degree
Curriculum Coordinator: Dr. Laurence Brenner
A. English Composition1 (6 Credits)
B. Mathematical and Quantitative Reasoning (3 Credits)
C. Life and Physical Sciences2 (3-4 Credits)
SUBTOTAL: 12-13 Credits
A. World Cultures and Global Issues (6 Credits)
B. U.S. Experience in Diversity (3 Credits)
C. Creative Expression (3 Credits)
D. Individual and Society (3 Credits)
E. Scientific World (3-4 Credits)
SUBTOTAL: 18-19 Credits
NOTE: Students will complete a minimum of six credits of these requirements within the Flexible Core. Transfer students who have completed Common Core requirements at a previous institution will not be required to complete credits in excess of the 60 credit requirement.
- ART 11 Introduction to Art OR ART 12 Introduction to Art History: Africa, the Americas, Asia and the Middle East OR MUS 11 Introduction to Music OR MUS 12 Introduction to World Music (0-3 Credits)
- COMM 11 Fundamentals of Interpersonal Communication (0-3 Credits)
- ENGLISH English Elective3 (0-3 Credits)
- HIS 10 History of the Modern World OR HIS 11 Introduction to the Modern World (0-3 Credits)
- SOCIAL SCIENCE Select one course from ANT, ECO, POL, PSY, SOC (0-3 Credits)
- WORLD LANGUAGES4, 5 Select one language course at the appropriate level (e.g., ARB, FRN, ITL, JPN, POR, SPN) (0-3 Credits)
Additional Major Requirements
- PEA Physical Education OR HLT 91 Critical Issues in Health (1-2 Credits)
- LAB2 Lab Science (0-1 Credit)
- Free Electives6 to complete 60 credits (3-16 Credits)
Media Studies Option Requirements
- MEST 60 Introduction to Mass Communication (0-3 Credits)
- MEST 64 Social Media Communication (0-3 Credits)
- MEST 96 Television, Society, and the Individual (0-3 Credits)
- Choose one of the following two FILM courses:
- FILM 61 Introduction to Film (0-3 Credits)
- FILM 91 World Cinema (0-3 Credits)
SUBTOTAL: 29-30 Credits
- ENG 110/111 plus one course from ENG 112, 114, 115, and 116. It is recommended that students choose ENG 115.
- Students may select either a 3 credit science course plus a lab course (1 cr.) or 4-credit STEM variant science course to fulfill Required Core C. Students selecting a 3-credit course in this area will have to take a 4-credit STEM variant science course in Flexible Area E in order to fulfill the lab requirement.
- Choose any ENG course from ENG 120-199.
- World Language courses taught in English (e.g., ITL 123) do not satisfy this requirement.
- Some languages (e.g., French and Spanish) require placement testing prior to enrollment. Please contact the World Languages and Cultures Department for more information.
- It is recommended that students use free elective credits to take an additional FILM course and/or MEDP 18. Select additional free electives in consultation with Media Studies adviser.
NOTE: The media studies option articulates with Lehman College. See the Transfer Planning web site for more details.