Liberal Arts & Sciences Spanish AA Course Requirements
LIBERAL ARTS AND SCIENCES CURRICULUM (PATHWAYS)
60 Credits required for AA Degree
Curriculum Coordinator: Dr. Alexander Lamazares
A. English Composition (6 Credits)
B. Mathematical and Quantitative Reasoning (3 Credits)
C. Life and Physical Sciences1 (3-4 Credits)
SUBTOTAL: 12-13 Credits
A. World Cultures and Global Issues (6 Credits)
B. U.S. Experience in its Diversity (3 Credits)
C. Creative Expression (3 Credits)
D. Individual and Society (3 Credits)
E. Scientific World (3 Credits)
SUBTOTAL: 18 Credits
NOTE: Students will complete a minimum of six credits of these requirements within the Flexible Core. Transfer students who have completed Common Core requirements at a previous institution will not be required to complete credits in excess of the 60 credit requirement.
- ART 11 Introduction to Art OR ART 12 Introduction to Art History: Africa, the Americas, Asia and the Middle East OR MUS 11 Introduction to Music OR MUS 12 Introduction to World Music (0-3 Credits)
- COMM 11 Introduction to Communication OR Select ONE from COMM, THEA, FILM, MEST (0-3 Credits)
- ENG2 English Elective (0-3 Credits)
- HIS 10 History of the Modern World OR HIS 11 Introduction to the Modern World OR Select ONE from GEO, PHL (0-3 Credits)
- SOCIAL SCIENCES Select one course from ANT, CRJ, ECO, HSC, POL, PSY, SOC (0-3 Credits)
- WORLD LANGUAGES3, 4 Select one language course at the appropriate level (e.g., ARB, FRN, ITL, JPN, POR, SPN) (0-3 Credits)
Additional Major Requirements
- LAB1 Lab Science (0-1 Credit)
- PEA Physical Education OR HLT 91 Critical Issues in Health (1-2 Credits)
- ELEC5 Free Electives to complete 60 credits (3-10 Credits)
Spanish Option Requirements6
(Choose four based on initial placement in Spanish)
- SPN 110 Introductory Spanish for Heritage Speakers (0-3 Credits)
- SPN 111 Beginning Spanish I (3 Credits)
- SPN 112 Beginning Spanish II (3 Credits)
- SPN 113 Intermediate Spanish Language and Culture (3 Credits)
- SPN 124 Don Quijote and Other Cervantes Masterpieces (3 Credits)
- SPN 26 Spanish for Business Communication (3 Credits)
- SPN 117 Advanced Spanish Composition (3 Credits)
- SPN 120 Advanced Spanish Grammar (3 Credits)
- SPN 121 Spanish Language and Culture (3 Credits)
- SPN 122 Latin American Language and Culture (3 Credits)
- SPN 125 Generation of 1898 (3 credits)
- SPN 130 Literature and Culture of Puerto Rico (3 Credits)
- SPN 131 Literature and Culture of the Spanish Caribbean (3 Credits)
SUBTOTAL: 29-30 Credits
- Students may select either a 4-credit STEM variant science course or a 3-credit science course to fulfill Required Core C. Students selecting a 3-credit course must also complete an additional 1-credit lab course to fulfill graduation requirements.
- Choose any ENG course from ENG 120-199. ENG 47 Latino Literature and ENG 48 Afro-Caribbean Literature are recommended courses.
- World Language courses taught in English (e.g., ITL 123) do not satisfy this requirement.
- Some languages (e.g., French and Spanish) require placement testing prior to enrollment. Please contact the World Languages and Cultures Department for more information.
- HIS 31 Latin American History and HIS 39 History of the Caribbean are recommended electives.
- Students must take the Spanish Placement exam prior to enrolling in their first Spanish course. Placement scores will determine the first sequence of Spanish courses. See World Languages and Cultures Department to schedule the placement exam.
The program articulates with Lehman College and SUNY Empire State University. See the Transfer Planning web site for more information.