Biotechnology can be broadly defined as the use of living organisms in the design of useful products as well as the exploration of the genetic and biomedical basis of how living organisms function. Some of the fields in which biotechnology plays an important role are:
- Forensic Science;
- Medical research involving genetic diseases, cancer, screening and treatment and embryological development;
- Design of novel drugs aimed at specific biological targets;
- Crop design and genetically modified organisms;
- Production of relevant biologicals such as insulin for treatment of disease; and
- Basic research in areas like, genetics, biochemistry, evolution, etc.
Biotechnological techniques allow genes to be isolated, amplified, expressed in different organisms completely chemically characterized (sequenced). These techniques also allow for insight into the normal as well as pathological regulation of genes. This is a rapidly expanding field and trained individuals are needed.
The Biotechnology Program is a joint degree program with the City College of New York (CCNY) leading to a B.S. degree.
The first 60 credits, resulting in the AS Degree, are taken at BCC. To graduate from the AS Degree program, students must satisfy course requirements as well as college-wide requirements. Students who successfully complete the AS Degree in Biotechnology with a cumulative GPA of 2.0 and 2.75 in the sciences, will be accepted into the CCNY B.S. program.
Upon successful completion of the Biotechnology program requirements, students will be able to:
- Describe how genetic and chemical processes underlie all of biological function and can be manipulated for product development.
- Demonstrate proficiency in standard laboratory techniques and the ability to implement standard safety protocols in the laboratory.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the use of bioinformatics, statistical and instrumental applications for the analysis and comparison of nucleic acids and proteins.
- Plan, execute, and interpret an experiment following the scientific method and demonstrate critical thinking skills for problem solving.
- Qualify for transfer to a four year college with the necessary foundation in biology for further study in a wide variety of disciplines.
Curriculum Coordinator: Dr. Yasmin Edwards and Dr. Raffaella Diotti