This certificate program responds to the current demand for trained practitioners at bilingual early childhood learning centers that is due to the increasing number of non-English speaking families using these centers. Students enrolled in this program will acquire skills in planning and designing activities that are developmentally appropriate learning experiences for young children learning a second language. Upon successful completion of the program students will be able to continue their studies in Bronx Community College’s Education Associate AAS Degree Program, and all of the certificate course credits will be accepted for this AAS degree.
This program also prepares students to qualify for the Child Development Associate (CDA) credential offered by the Council for Professional Recognition. Additional
requirements must be met to obtain the CDA. For more information, students should contact the BCC Career Path Program at 718-289-5691.
Upon successful completion of the Bilingual Early Childhood Assistant program requirements, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of theory in early childhood/childhood and adolescent development.
- Apply observational skills to assess early childhood, childhood development.
- Communicate effectively through oral, written, and/or technological means to support teaching and effective partnerships with families and school communities.
- Identify environments that support a safe, healthy learning environment for all children.
- Apply developmentally appropriate pedagogical techniques and classroom management strategies to meet the needs of all learners in any of the following: reading, writing, technology, meeting the needs of exceptional learners, English Language Learners, bilingual learners, and/or creative experiences in early childhood/childhood learning environments.
Curriculum Coordinator: Dr. Tonya Johnson