This program is for students who have an interest in the field of criminal justice. It is a joint degree program with John Jay College of Criminal Justice, in which students receive an Associate in Arts degree at Bronx Community College and a Bachelor of Arts degree in Criminal Justice at John Jay College. BCC graduates of the associate program are automatically accepted into John Jay’s program provided that they meet the academic and grade requirements (2.0 or better GPA) to continue with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Criminal Justice at John Jay College. Criminal Justice is a growing field of study that provides intellectual stimulation and practical experience for students with an interest in police science, law, security management and other fields that incorporate supporting the infrastructure of the law, as well as working with people.
Upon successful completion of the Criminal Justice program requirements, students will be able to:
- Describe from a historical and systemic perspective criminal justice institutions (cops, courts, corrections) and how they relate to each other.
- Identify and explain the mechanism, dynamics, and situational context of crime and criminal behavior, and methods of prevention and treatment.
- Apply theories related to the policy and practice of the criminal justice system.
- Demonstrate the ability to asses, conduct, interpret, and apply criminal justice research.
Click here to learn more.
CUNY Justice Academy (CJA) students are guaranteed admissions to John Jay College provided they meet the minimum entrance requirements:
- Graduate with their associate degree in Criminal Justice
- Obtain a minimum GPA of 2.0 for CRJ (or 2.5 if formally dismissed from John Jay College)
- Skills certified in Math (MTH 23) and English (ENG 11 and 12)
- CUNY Justice Academy (CJA) students do not have to fill out an application or pay a commitment fee.
- Graduating students will receive an invitation from the CJA, requesting their confirmation to start John Jay College for the upcoming semester.
- Once you have confirmed your decision to enroll at John Jay College, the CJA team will begin evaluating your transcripts.
- Once your transfer credits have been evaluated, the CJA team will contact you via email to attend an advisement session and register for classes at John Jay College.
- Do ensure that you have a correct email on file via CUNY First. This is where your transitioning invitation will be sent!
- Do reach out to your Academic Success Coach to find out when to expect the transitioning confirmation link.
- Do fill out the transitioning confirmation link in a timely fashion.
- Do ensure that you complete all skill certification courses before your last semester (all remedial sequences must be complete).
- Do email CJA@jjay.cuny.edu for any questions regarding follow up for your transition.
- Do begin looking at Major and Minor options at John Jay! See all John Jay Majors and Minors.
- Don’t fill out an application into John Jay! As a CJA student your seat is guaranteed as long as you graduate with your 60 required credits and 2.0 GPA.
- Don’t neglect the transition email that John Jay sends you. This will delay your registration at John Jay.
- Don’t be impatient. Once you confirm your seat at John Jay it takes 3 to 4 weeks to review your degree audit. They will follow up with an email regarding recommended courses.