Education AS Course Requirements
60 Credits required for AS Degree
Curriculum Coordinator: Dr. T. Johnson
A. English Composition (6 Credits)
B. Mathematical and Quantitative Reasoning (3 Credits)
C. Life and Physical Science1 (3-4 Credits)
SUBTOTAL 12-13 Credits
A. World Cultures and Global Issues2 (3 Credits)
B. US Experience and Diversity3 (3 Credits)
C. Creative Expression4 (3 Credits)
D. Individual and Society5 (3 Credits)
E. Scientific World8 (3 Credits)
F. Choose one additional course from Flex Areas A-E6 (3 Credits)
SUBTOTAL 18 Credits
- EDU 10 Child Study Birth to Grade 6 (3 Credits)
- EDU 12 OR EDU 26 Contemporary Urban Education Birth to Grade 6 OR Human Relations in Urban Schools (3 Credits)
- EDU 30 Introduction to Special Needs, Schools & Society (3 Credits)
- EDU 40 Field Work Seminar (3 Credits)
- EDU 50 Creativity and the Arts for the Early Childhood and Childhood Years (3 Credits)
- PSY 11 Introduction to Psychology (3 Credits)
- FYS 117 First Year Seminar (1 Credit)
- Any PEA or CPR 10 (1 Credit)
- SCI LAB (0-1 Credits)
Options: Choose one of the following Options and complete all requirements
Early Childhood Option (9 Credits)
- EDU 16 Literacy in Early Childhood Education (Birth to Grade 2) (3 Credits)
- EDU 24 Pre-School Seminar I (3 Credits)
- EDU 25 Pre-School Seminar II (3 Credits)
SUBTOTAL 30 Credits
Childhood Option (9 Credits)
- EDU 17 Literacy in Childhood Education – Grades 1-6 (3 Credits) OR EDU 18 Literacy in a Bilingual/Dual Language Early Childhood Classroom (3 Credits)
- EDU 31 Introduction to Learning Disabilities/Inclusive Education (3 Credits)
- PSY 41 Psychology of Infancy and Childhood (3 Credit)
SUBTOTAL 30 Credits
- Students may select either a 4-credit or a 3-credit science course. Students selecting a 3-credit course must also complete an additional 1-credit lab course to fulfill graduation requirements.
- It is recommended that students take a course from World Languages and Cultures for Flex Core Area.
- It is recommended that students take HIS 20 for Flex Area B.
- It is recommended that students take ART 11 or 12, or MUS 11 or 12, for Flex Area C.
- It is recommended that students take COMM 11 for Flex Area D.
- It is recommended that students take an additional course (same language) from World Languages and Cultures in Flexible Core Area A.
- Students must take FYS 11 prior to earning 24 degree or equated credits. Students who have earned 24 or more degree or equated credits are permitted to use the one credit as a free elective. It is recommended that students take FYS 11 in their first or second semester. This requirement will be waived for students who have earned 24 or more degree or equated credits at BCC or another college and transfer into this program.
- Students taking a 4-credit course in this area will graduate with 61 credits.