Federal and State Grants

Federal Pell Grant is money awarded by the federal government that can be used to pay a student’s tuition. If tuition is covered by other means, the Grant can be used to help to buy books and supplies or pay for transportation costs. The FAFSA application is used for federal government grants. Bronx Community College School Code is 002692

PELL is available only to students who have not earned a bachelor’s degree or professional certificate. Students must be in good satisfactory academic standing and make satisfactory academic progress towards completing a degree.

  • The amount of your Federal Pell Grant depends on your cost of attendance, student aid index, enrollment status and whether you attend school for a full academic year or less.
  • Students may not be in default on a previous federal student loan or owe the federal government a refund of financial aid previously received.
  • Students must be willing to verify the information provided on the FAFSA.
  • Pell Grant program will be limited to a maximum of 12 full-time equivalent semesters or 600% (100% per academic year)of Pell Grant eligibility per student.
  • For more information, contact the Financial Aid Office.

Remedial Courses

The federal government restricts the use of Pell Grants for students to take up to 30 hours of non-credit remedial coursework. After the student has reached the 30-hour limit on remedial coursework, the student may not receive PELL or other forms of federal student aid for any additional remedial hours.

Pell Advance Payments

Pell advance payments are available for eligible students at the beginning of the fall and spring semesters. Pell advance payments are intended to give students a portion of their award at the beginning of the semester to help purchase books and supplies.

  • In order to provide an advance payment, students must file early, finalize their FAFSA information and settle their semester tuition bill.
  • Students may chose either the CUNY Scholar Support prepaid card or direct deposit methods to receive financial aid disbursements.
  • Pell advance payments do not represent any additional financial aid. If a student receives an advance payment, the amount of this payment will be deducted from their regular Federal Pell Grant disbursement.
  • Note: Students who receive a Pell Advance but do not begin attendance in classes, must return the payment immediately to the college.

Student Aid Index (SAI)

An education from Bronx Community College is an especially good value. At BCC, you will pay less than half of what you would pay at a four-year college, for the same quality education. The cost of tuition, books and supplies might seem a little scary, but there are many sources of financial aid available to make financing your education a little easier.

The Expected Family Contribution (EFC) has been replaced with the Student Aid Index (SAI).  The Student Aid Index (SAI) is an eligibility index number that your college’s or career school’s financial aid office uses to determine how much federal student aid you would receive if you attended the school. This number results from the information that you provide on your FAFSA® form. This number is not a dollar amount of aid eligibility or what your family is expected to provide.

The student may want to use the Federal Student Aid Estimator before filling out the FAFSA form to help them understand their options for paying for college or career school by providing them an early estimate of how much federal student aid they may be eligible for. To learn more about the Federal Student Aid Estimator go here


Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

A Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) is an award given to undergraduate students who show exceptional financial need.

Eligibility Requirements

  • To receive FSEOG, students must meet the Student Eligibility requirements for federal financial aid.
  • Students must enroll for and maintain enrollment status of half-time (6 credits or equated credits)
  • Students who receive an FSEOG payment but do not begin attendance in classes must return the payment immediately to the college
  • Apply for FSEOG by filing a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
  • Students will receive an award letter from the college indicating whether or not FSEOG has been awarded. Check your award status by logging into CUNYfirst.

Note: CUNY automatically considers a student for this award if his/her FAFSA application indicates Federal Work-Study or Federal Perkins Loan assistance. File your FAFSA early. FSEOG college funding is limited.


Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) provides grants to students to assist them in paying tuition. The program is administered by the New York State Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC). Bronx Community College school code is 1400.


What is the application process?

The first step in the TAP application process is the completion of the FAFSA. Once a student gets to the FAFSA on the web confirmation page, there will be a link for New York State residents to complete an application for TAP.

What are the eligibility requirements?

You must:

Be a legal resident of New York State (have lived in NYS for at least one year prior to the first day of the semester for which you are seeking payment).

Be a U.S citizen, permanent resident or hold an I-94 visa as a refugee, paroled refugee or conditional entrant.

Be enrolled in a degree program at Bronx Community College.

Be enrolled full time in at least 12 credits that meet the requirements of your major. In your first tap semester, you must have at least 3 degree credits as part of your full-time course load. After your first semester, you must have at least 6 degree credits as part of your full-time course load.

Be in good academic standing for New York State financial aid by meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress standards.

Have a high school diploma from a U.S. high school, a recognized GED certification, or pass an approved ability-to-benefit test.

Meet the economic criteria.

What are the income requirements?

To meet the New York State taxable income criteria for TAP: Dependent students or independent students with tax dependents must have a total family net taxable income below $80,001. Independent students who are single with no tax dependents must have a total family net taxable income below $10,001. Independent students who are married with no tax dependents must have a total family net taxable income below $40,001. To learn more visit HESC.

Where do you want to go now?

Start your search here