BCC Logo
Prospective Students   Current Students   Faculty/Staff   Alumni   Site Index


A CCC is the certificate of clinical competence. The American Speech Language Hearing Association bestows the CCC on individuals who have completed the appropriate coursework and clinical experiences. In order to be employed as a speech-language pathologist in the United States, you must possess a CCC. A state license may also be required depending upon your state of residence.

Salaries vary and depend on various factors. According to the 2005 Health Care Survey, salaries for SLPs in hospitals ranged from $53,000 to $68,000.

If you intend to pursue the Speech-Language Pathology option of the Liberal Arts associate degree, then BCC requires that you declare your curriculum option with the Registrar's Office and that you take two courses in the area, CMS 41 and 42. Other liberal arts coursework is also required to complete the associate degree. If you have further questions, contact the coordinator, Dr. Magloire, in Colston Hall, room 736, or at 718.289.5758.

There are both clinical and academic requirements for becoming an SLP. You can see these listed in detail at www.asha.org. In most circumstances, a certificate of clinical competence and a state license are required to practice as an SLP.

You must have a master's degree in order to work as a speech language pathologist. Other career opportunities are available however. Individuals in New York State might consider obtaining a certificate entitled teacher of students with speech and language disabilities, which would allow them to work in a related area prior to obtaining their master's degree. See eservices.nysed.gov/teach/certhelp/CertRequirementHelp.do for more information.

Typically it takes about two years at an undergraduate institution (full-time) and two years at the graduate level (full-time) to complete the required coursework and clinical experiences.

No, but if you are in an undergraduate program you will likely be required to do clinical observations. Direct clinical contact under supervision usually begins in graduate school.

Numerous schools offer graduate and undergraduate degrees. See www.asha.org for a complete listing.

You will gain experience during your undergraduate education through required clinical observations. Volunteer opportunities are also occasionally available. Individuals interested in volunteer opportunities should contact the coordinator, Dr. Magloire, in Colston Hall, room 736, or at 718.289.5758.

A grade point average of 3.0 is not required to be admitted to Lehman's undergraduate program. Students who complete the speech pathology option at BCC and intend to continue at Lehman must have at least a 2.0 GPA as per the articulation agreement. The Lehman undergraduate program does, however, require a minimum GPA of 2.7 in certain courses. Please see Lehman's website for more information.

To be a fully certified speech-language pathologist in the United States you must have a master's degree

SLPs are in high demand throughout the country. The field of speech-language pathology is expected to grow faster than average through the year 2014.

Clinical training typically involves learning to work with many different types of patients, including adults and children.

There are certifications, including for working with individuals who stutter, that you may apply for upon completion of the general graduate coursework. See www.asha.org for more information.

American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA):
National Student Speech Language Hearing Association (NSSLHA): http://www.nsslha.org
New York State Speech-Language-Hearing Association (NYSSLHA): http://www.nysslha.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=1
Speech-Language Pathology Program (Queens College): http://qcpages.qc.cuny.edu/LCD/programs/CSD/cdg_about.htm
M.A. Program in Speech-Language Pathology (Lehman College): http://www.lehman.edu/deanhum/splanghearing/
Master of Science in Speech-Language Pathology (Brooklyn College): http://depthome.brooklyn.cuny.edu/speech/program/

BCC Email | Phone Directory | Emergency Closing | CUNY Portal | Make this Website Talk

Google Translation Disclaimer