The Amadou Diallo Memorial Scholarship
The Amadou Diallo Memorial Scholarship is named in honor of Amadou Diallo, who came to the United States with the goal of furthering his education. February 4, 1999 turned tragic when an act of police brutality robbed the 23-year-old of his life and an ambitious future. Since his death, his mother and the trustees of the Amadou Diallo Foundation (ADF) have dedicated themselves to supporting scholarships to help college students complete their degrees and to promote racial healing and positive community interaction with law enforcement. The Bronx Community College and ADF have a longstanding partnership that, in one way, has manifested in the creation of the Amadou Diallo Memorial Scholarship.
2023-2024 Amadou Diallo Memorial Scholarship Criteria
- Currently enrolled, full-time BCC student
- GPA of 3.0 or better with at least 15-degree credits
- Demonstrated need of financial support
- Preference may be given to students who are active in BCC’s African Students Association or the African Services Project
- Preference may be given to students who are pursuing STEM or Criminal Justice degrees
- The recipient will receive support equivalent to full tuition and fees, based on NYC resident rates
- Support for the Spring semester will be conditional based on the student’s performance in Fall 2023
- Submit your completed application via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application & Essay
Download and complete the application and essay for submission.
Guideline for Essay
- Maximum of 750 words. Must be Times New Roman, 12 font size, with 1.5 spacing. Please do not write beyond the maximum. If you need help with your writing of this statement, please visit the Writing Center, Sage Hall – Rm 101.
- Submit an essay describing your background, education, career goals, and your interest in and commitment to giving back to your community. Also, explain why you should be considered for the Amadou Diallo Memorial scholarship and how receiving the scholarship will help you achieve your academic, personal, and professional goals.
Application Deadline: Friday, October 27, 2023