The senate meets on Thursdays, once-a-month, during the Fall and Spring semesters,
Time: 12 – 1:50 pm
Spring 2022: 2/24, 3/31, 4/28, 5/12, 5/19*
Agenda & Minutes
Please see materials folder link for agenda and related info
For minutes of previous meetings visit:
For recordings of previous meetings visit:
BCC College Senate Meeting.
Feb 24, 2022 12:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
Register in advance for this meeting:
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
Meeting Materials can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/l6tqy8nrcjgleip/AAAbfnALYsg6q4ckQBleLBy4a?dl=0
BCC Governance – College Senate
Current Term – Fall 2021 through Spring 2023
The BCC Senate is responsible for the establishment of academic policy and for legislative and advisory functions related to the programs, operations and goals of the College. It is comprised of faculty, student government and administration representatives.
Our meetings are open to the public and we encourage you to attend. Agendas are available on this page in advance of all meetings.
Functions of the Senate (from the BCC Governance Plan):
- The Senate shall have legislative power with regard to:
- Academic affairs, including curricula, degree requirements, admissions and grading structure.
- The protection of the academic freedom of students and Instructional Staff.
- The adoption of Rules of Procedure for itself, its committees and its sub committees.
- The Senate shall have the following advisory responsibilities:
- Participate in the search for and appointment of the President of the College, as requested by the Board of Trustees.
- Advise on the appointment of all individuals holding Vice President and Dean titles. These recommendations are to be submitted to the President of the College for his/her consideration.
- Advise on long range planning to achieve the goals of the College.
- Advise on campus life and activities, including ancillary services within the College (including, but not limited to, Auxiliary Enterprises, BCC, Inc. and the Student Election Review Committee), student organizations and community relations.
- Advise the College’s administrative officers on the formulation and allocation of the College budget, of policies relating to grants, of allocation of space and facilities, and in the making of decisions pertaining to the allocation of resources for educational programs, and for research and scholarly activities.
- In carrying out its responsibilities, the Senate shall be fully advised of, shall routinely receive, and shall be free to seek information from the College’s administrative officers on all matters germane to the programs and operations of the College and its facilities.
- The College administration shall provide to the Senate in a timely fashion all pertinent information, including information on college resources and policies.
- Upon the invitation of the Senate Chairperson, the President shall meet with it to discuss his/her response to its recommendations.
Total voting membership = 60
Quorum = 31
Ex-officio Senators (4)
- Thomas Isekenegbe – President
- Lester Sandres Rápalo – Provost & VP of Academic Affairs
- Irene Delgado – Vice President of Student Success
- Kay Ellis – Vice President of Finance
At-Large Senators (18)
- Emakoji Ayikoye – Business Information Systems
- Roni Ben-nun – Art & Music
- Larry Brenner – Communication Arts & Sciences
- Howard Clampman – Business Information Systems
- Yasmin Edwards – Biological Sciences
- Hisseine Faradj – Social Sciences
- Tanweer Haroon – Business Information Systems
- Farnaz Kaighobadi – Social Sciences
- Peter Kolozi – Social Sciences
- Kyeng (Joe) Lee – Biological Sciences
- Charles Maliti – Biological Sciences
- Franklin Moore – Business Information Systems
- Maria Psarelli – Mathematics & Computer Science
- Nelson Reynoso – Social Sciences
- John Socas – Communication Arts & Sciences
- Anne Vuagniaux – Art & Music
- James Webb – Communication Arts & Sciences
- John Ziegler – English
At-Large Alternate Senators (5)
- Monique Guishard – Social Sciences
- Jesus Sanabria – Library
- Gerard Weber – Social Sciences
- Laroi Lawton – Library
- Raffaella Diotti – Biological Sciences
Department Senators (15)
- Andrea Ortuno – Art & Music
- Mervan Agovic – Biological Sciences
- Nikole Knight – Business Information Systems
- Chelia Cullen – Chemistry, Earth Sciences, & Environmental Sciences
- Kevin Bozelka – Communication Arts & Sciences
- Barbara Caballero Flores – Education & Academic Literacy
- George Patchoros – Engineering, Physics & Technology
- Jonathan Scott – English
- Ulana Lysniak – Health, Physical Education & Recreation
- Seth Offenbach – History
- Michael Miller – Library
- Kerry Ojakian – Mathematics & Computer Science
- Shanell Rawls – Nursing & Allied Health Sciences
- Devin Molina – Social Sciences
- Salvador Salazar – World Languages and Cultures
Department Alternate Senators (15)
- Debbie LEwittes – Art & Music
- Diane P. Banks – Biological Sciences
- James Cecil Simpson – Business Information Systems
- Julio Garay – Chemistry, Earth Sciences, & Environmental Sciences
- Carmen Meyers – Communication Arts & Sciences
- Steve Powers – Education & Academic Literacy
- Eugene Mananga – Engineering, Physics & Technology
- Sharmila Mukherjee – English
- Kelvin Cooper – Health, Physical Education & Recreation
- Stephen Duncan – History
- Cynthia Tobar – Library
- Karen Taylor – Mathematics & Computer Science
- Manish Sharma – Nursing & Allied Health Sciences
- Jawied Nawabi – Social Sciences
- Silvia Carlorosi – World Languages and Cultures
Adjunct Senators (2)
- Mira Johnson – English
- Diana Naccarato – Art & Music
Adjunct Alternate Senator (1)
- Andrew Akinmoladun – Engineering, Physics & Technology
CLT Senator (2)
- Lourdes Rosario – Biological Sciences
- Martha Sanchez – Library
CLT Alternate Senator (1)
- Bubacarr Bah
HEO Senators (3)
- Nadine Browne
- Sahidha Odige
- Albert Robinson
HEO Alternate Senator (1)
- Delwar Sayeed
Registrar Senator (1)
- Karen Thomas
Student Government Senators (15)
- VACANT (SGA President)
- Jason Ofosu-Mensah (IOC Vice President)
- VACANT (SGA Treasurer)
- Elizabeth Asemota (SGA Legal Legislator)
- Agustin Garcia Flores (SGA Secretary)
- Hawa Dukura
- Kenneth Flowers
- Kellis Rickards
- Elena D. Robin
- David Smith
CUNY University Faculty Senate (UFS)
BCC maintains a delegation of representatives on CUNY’s university-wide senate.
Current BCC senators are:
- Farnaz Kaighobadi (Liaison to BCC Senate), term ends 2024
- Emakoji Ayikoye, term ends 2024
- Peter Kolozi, term ends 2023
- Eric Carlson, term ends 2023
- Laroi Lawton, term ends 2024
- David Puglia (Alternate), term ends 2022
To visit the UFS website follow this link: CUNY University Faculty Senate