International Studies Option
Our curriculum prepares a student to be an accomplished and productive human being. A liberal arts degree opens doors to the professions and to rewarding and responsible careers. Future physicians, teachers, scientists, lawyers and businessmen, for example, develop themselves as well-rounded individuals, in addition to completing their pre-professional work. The academic experiences in liberal arts and sciences provide the foundation for later specialization, graduate study and professional school. The International Studies Option offers a greater degree of specialization.
Curriculum Coordinator: Dr. Peter Kolozi
Liberal Arts and Sciences Curriculum (Pathways)
60 Credits required for AA Degree
A. English Composition (6 Credits)
B. Mathematical and Quantitative Reasoning (3 Credits)
C. Life and Physical Sciences¹ (3-4 Credits)
A.World Cultures and Global Issues (6 Credits)
B. U.S. Experience in its Diversity (3 Credits)
C. Creative Expression (3 Credits)
D. Individual and Society (3 Credits)
E. Scientific World (3 Credits)
Note: Students will complete a minimum of six credits of these requirements within the Flexible Core. Transfer students who have completed Common Core requirements at a previous institution will not be required to complete credits in excess of the 60 credit requirement.
- ART 11 Introduction to Art History or ART 12 Introduction to Art History: Africa, the Americas, Asia and the Middle East or MUS 11 Introduction to Music or MUS 12 Introduction to Music: A Multi-Cultural Survey of World Music (0-3 Credits)
- COMMUNICATIONS COMM, THEA, FILM, MEST (0-3 Credits)
- ENGLISH² (0-3 Credits)
- HISTORY Select ONE from HIS, GEO, PHL (0-3 Credits)
- MODERN LANGUAGES Select TWO from the same language at the appropriate level (0-6 Credits)
- SOCIAL SCIENCES Select ONE from ANT, CRJ, ECO, HSC, POL, PSY, SOC (0-3 Credits)
Additional Major Requirements
- Free Electives (0-10 Credits)
- PEA Physical Education or HLT 91 Critical Issues in Health (1-2 Credits)
- Science Lab¹ Science Laboratory (0-1 Credit)
International Studies Option Requirements
Select FOUR courses from the following:
- ENGLISH Select ONE from ENG 47, ENG 48, or ENG 57 (0-3 Credits)
- ECONOMICS Select ONE from ECO 11, ECO 12, ECO 15, OR ECO 71 (0-3 Credits)
- MODERN LANGUAGES (0-3 Credits)
- POLITICAL SCIENCE Select ONE from POL 31, POL 42, POL 71 or POL 72 (0-3 Credits)
- Select ONE from ANT 11, GEO 10, HIS 10/11, HIS 13, HIS 14, HIS 15, HIS 24, HIS 25, HIS 27, HIS 31, HIS 35, HIS 39, SOC 11 (0-3 Credits)
¹Students may select either a 4-credit STEM variant science course or a 3-credit science course to fulfill Required Core C. Students selecting a 3-credit course must also complete an additional 1-credit lab course to fulfill graduation requirements.
²Choose from any ENG course above ENG 16 with the exception of ENG 223 The Liberal Arts AA International Studies Option articulates with SUNY Empire State College. See the Transfer Planning website for details.