Working with the Media
By strategically sharing our stories throughout popular media, we increase our visibility, enhance our reputation, and demonstrate our unique value among our key audiences.
We actively seek to promote student and faculty achievements, successful programs and events that enhance our reputation and deserve a wider audience. This could be in the form of a news item on our website, CUNY Brief, media advisory or press release issued to our media outlets. We can also target specific reporters and publications with exclusives. Not every idea may be newsworthy, but we are interested in all of your ideas and accomplishments.
Our team handles and advises on all aspects of media communications, including:
- Press Releases. We write press releases designed to convey newsworthy information to the media in a timely manner. They are sent to key media contacts. They are also posted on the Campus News webpage.
- Media Advisories. We prepare brief advisories designed to alert media about important upcoming events.
- Media Interviews. We organize media interviews and assist with scheduling, preparing, or training campus members for media interviews.
- Story Pitches. We suggest story ideas to local, regional and national news media contacts.
- Ribbon-Cuttings / Press Conferences. We arrange ribbon-cuttings, press conferences, or other meetings and interactions with news media.
Media inquiries and outreach on all college matters are handled directly by the Office of Communications and Marketing. If you are approached by a member of the working press requesting information or an on-campus interview, please refer the reporter to our office and alert your department head.
Please, always remember to let us know if you or your work have been recently featured in a media outlet so that we can share it with the rest of the campus.
Please don’t invite media on campus without first alerting us. Public Safety will not allow members of the working press on campus without prior approval.