Discover the Committees
Student Senators serve on a array of committees at BCC. Our institution’s long time commitment to “shared governance” dictates that these committees be composed of a diverse group of constituencies; in most cases that includes a mixture of students, faculty and staff members. Listed below are each of the committees students serve on during the academic year.
The College Senate has 58 members consisting of student government senators, full-time faculty, non-teaching instructional staff, classified staff (campus peace officers, maintenance, etc) the President, Vice Presidents and Deans of the College.
In addition, there shall be ex-officio non-voting members.
These meetings are also open to the public.
Committees That Student Serve On
Student Representatives in Senate Committees
- Student representatives will be elected by the Student Government Association. Additional representatives shall be elected according to the procedures for the election of officers stipulated in the SGA.
- Every student representative to the Senate Committees must be certified by the Registrar’s Office as being a full-time student in good academic standing.
- Student representatives shall serve for a period of one year.
- All student representatives have the voting privilege unless otherwise noted.
Executive Committee (14 voting members)
- Prepare agenda for Senate meetings.
- Appoint members as required to standing committees of Senate and other college committees.
- Review College budget.
- Take action when Senator cannot meet.
Governance and Elections Committee (10 voting members)
- Recommend changes in BCC governance plan.
- Interpret governance plan.
- Conduct nominations and elections as specified.
Academic Standing Committee (23 voting members)
- Make policy regarding matriculation, attendance, advanced standing, grading requirements and requirements for degree diplomas and certificates.
- Adjudicate and take final action on student appeals.
Curriculum Committee (25 voting members)
- Establish and evaluate curricula requirements for degrees and certificates.
- Evaluate and approve new courses and curricula, and revisions of existing courses and curricula.
- Evaluate and approve all new programs to be offered by the college.
- Assemble information and develop procedures for all courses, both degree-credits and equated-credits.
Student Activities Committee (10 voting members)
- Review and make recommendations to Senate on policies and procedures for co-curricular activities.
- Authorize the use of the name of the College by student groups.
- Recommend student activity programs to SGA.
- Assist the College with establishing and reviewing rules of conduct and regulations in conformity with Article XV of Board of Trustees Bylaws.
Space, Facilities, and Physical Plant Committee (7 voting members)
- Consult with and advise the administration in reference to allocation of space and facilities within the College.
Standing Committees with Advisory Functions
Instructional & Professional Development Committee (24 voting members)
- Solicit information from students to determine problem areas in the instructional process, which may be explored by the committee.
Community Relations & Special Events Committee (7 voting members)
- Consult with and advise administrative officers on ongoing and proposed projects and special events.
Vice Presidents & Deans Committee (7 voting members)
- Consult with and advise the President on the appointment of persons holding Vice President and Deans titles.
- Consult with the President concerning the criteria and procedures to be used by the President in reviewing the performances of Vice Presidents and Deans and their offices.
Have Questions? Contact the SGA
Currently Working Remotely Please EMAIL.
Phone: 718-289-5074/3678 (Currently Inactive)