The senate meets on Thursday, once-a-month, during the Fall and Spring semesters,
Location: Nichols Hall 104
Time: 12 – 1:50 pm
- Fall 2019 Meeting Dates: 9/12, 9/26, 10/31, 11/21, 12/12
- Spring 2020 Meeting Dates: 2/27, 3/26, 4/30, 5/14
Due to the ongoing health crisis, all Senate and committee meetings will be held remotely for the remainder of the semester.
Please check the BCC calendar for up-to-date meeting information.
Access Information for BCC Senate Virtual Meetings
for April 30 and May 14
- Call-in number: 1-844-992-4726
- Meeting number: 796 275 757
BCC Governance – College Senate
The BCC Senate is responsible for the establishment of academic policy and for legislative and advisory functions related to the programs, operations and goals of the College. It is comprised of faculty, student government and administration representatives.
Our meetings are open to the public and we encourage you to attend. Agendas are available on this page in advance of all meetings.
Functions of the Senate (from the BCC Governance Plan):
- The Senate shall have legislative power with regard to:
- Academic affairs, including curricula, degree requirements, admissions and grading structure.
- The protection of the academic freedom of students and Instructional Staff.
- The adoption of Rules of Procedure for itself, its committees and its sub committees.
- The Senate shall have the following advisory responsibilities:
- Participate in the search for and appointment of the President of the College, as requested by the Board of Trustees.
- Advise on the appointment of all individuals holding Vice President and Dean titles. These recommendations are to be submitted to the President of the College for his/her consideration.
- Advise on long range planning to achieve the goals of the College.
- Advise on campus life and activities, including ancillary services within the College (including, but not limited to, Auxiliary Enterprises, BCC, Inc. and the Student Election Review Committee), student organizations and community relations.
- Advise the College’s administrative officers on the formulation and allocation of the College budget, of policies relating to grants, of allocation of space and facilities, and in the making of decisions pertaining to the allocation of resources for educational programs, and for research and scholarly activities.
- In carrying out its responsibilities, the Senate shall be fully advised of, shall routinely receive, and shall be free to seek information from the College’s administrative officers on all matters germane to the programs and operations of the College and its facilities.
- The College administration shall provide to the Senate in a timely fashion all pertinent information, including information on college resources and policies.
- Upon the invitation of the Senate Chairperson, the President shall meet with it to discuss his/her response to its recommendations.
Total voting membership = 59
Quorum = 30
Ex-officio Senators (4)
- Thomas Isekenegbe – President
- Lester Sandres Rápalo – Provost & VP of Academic Affairs
- Irene Delgado – Vice President of Student Success
- Kay Ellis – Vice President of Finance
At-Large Senators (18)
- Laura Barberan – English
- Howard Clampman – Business Information Systems
- Yasmin Edwards – Biological Sciences
- Monique Guishard – Social Sciences
- Farnaz Kaighobadi – Social Science
- Joe (Kyeng) Lee – Biological Sciences
- Charles Maliti – Biological Sciences
- Franklin Moore – Business Information Systems
- Sharmila Mukherjee – English
- Maria Psarelli – Mathematics & Computer Science
- Nelson Reynoso – Social Sciences
- Jesus Sanabria – Library
- John Socas – Communication Arts & Sciences
- Kim Swan – English
- Anne Vuagniaux – Art & Music
- James Webb – Communication Arts & Sciences
- John Ziegler – English
At-Large Alternate Senators (5)
- Sharon Utakis – English
Department Senators (15)
- Roni Ben-Nun – Art & Music
- Mervan Agovic – Biological Sciences
- Nikole Knight – Business Information Systems
- Sheldon Skaggs – Chemistry, Earth Sciences, & Environmental Sciences
- Debra Gonsher – Communication Arts & Sciences
- Barbara Caballero Flores – Education & Academic Literacy
- Joseph Malinsky – Engineering, Physics & Technology
- Jonathan Scott – English
- Stacia Reader – Health, Physical Education & Recreation
- Seth Offenbach – History
- Michael Miller – Library
- Joel Nagloo – Mathematics & Computer Science
- Myriam Cadet – Nursing & Allied Health Sciences
- Hisseine Faradj – Social Science
- Kevin Viner – World Languages and Cultures
Department Alternate Senators (15)
- Andrea Ortuno – Art & Music
- Diane Price – Biological Sciences
- Tanweer Haroon – Business Information Systems
- Anthony Durante – Chemistry, Earth Sciences, & Environmental Sciences
- Larry Brenner – Communication Arts & Sciences
- Steve Powers – Education & Academic Literacy
- Eugene Mananga – Engineering, Physics & Technology
- John Athanasourelis – English
- Sue Moss – Health, Physical Education & Recreation
- Stephen Duncan – History
- Cynthia Tobar – Library
- Kerry Ojakian – Mathematics & Computer Science
- Iris Cortes – Nursing & Allied Health Sciences
- Devin Molina – Social Sciences
- Wedsly Guerrier – World Languages and Cultures
Adjunct Senators (2)
- Mira Johnson – English
- Marian Stewart-Titus – English
Adjunct Alternate Senator (1)
- Oluremi Alapo – Social Sciences
CLT Senator (1)
- Lourdes Rosario – Biological Sciences
CLT Alternate Senator (1)
- Martha Sanchez – Library
HEO Senators (3)
- Albert Robinson
- Delwar Sayeed
HEO Alternate Senator (1)
Registrar Senator (1)
- Karen Thomas
Student Government Senators (15)
- Quiana Berry – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Anthony Cuevas – email@example.com
- Christian Davila – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Stephanie Dorleans – email@example.com
- Jeffrey Ewell – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Saikou Yaya Fadiga – Saikou.Fadiga@stu.bcc.cuny.edu
- Nicholas Fantauzzi – Nicholas.Fantauzzi-III@stu.bcc.cuny.edu
- Amber Lake – email@example.com
- Kayme Marcelino – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Celine Sanders – email@example.com
- Hayale Smith – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Diana Valenzuela – email@example.com
CUNY University Faculty Senate (UFS)
BCC maintains a delegation of representatives on CUNY’s university-wide senate.
Current BCC senators are:
- Nikos Apostolakis
- Julio Garay
- Farnaz Kaighobadi (Liaison to BCC Senate)
- Sharmila Mukherjee
- Marianne Stewart-Titus
To visit the UFS website follow this link: CUNY University Faculty Senate